How to use an E-newsletter to engage your list!
To a lot of people, the e-newsletter may seem like a relic of a bygone era, a period when we used painfully slow dial-up Internet services like AOL and “surfed” the net using Netscape. Despite being a little long in the tooth (in Internet years), the e-newsletter continues to be an extremely powerful marketing tool that your business shouldn’t ignore. E-newsletters remain a terrific medium for engaging your customers, building authority and driving sales. The Direct Marketing Association says that every $1 spent on email marketing creates $40 in revenue. Aweber informs us that 77 percent of small business owners state that email helps them increase revenue.
Not your grandmother’s e-newsletters anymore!
Don’t be buffaloed into thinking that your e-newsletter has to be as bland and un-sexy as those you’ve made the mistake of opting in for. Here are some eye-catching examples of e-newsletters that rock! Also, making sure you’re not simply selling, but engaging your readers with useful, interesting content. Kayak, for example, isn’t just about telling you about the latest travel deals, but rather getting you salivating over the notion of travel and fun. Additionally, they go out of the way to engage their readers.
Quick strategies for an engaging e-newsletter
Here are some tips for creating an e-newsletter that gets opened and acted upon!
- Talk as if you’re talking to a friend – Customers are affected by a friendly tone, and are far more likely to engage.
- Encourage communication – Give them every chance to respond and specifically request it!
- Be specific! – Don’t stray from the topic, and most importantly, don’t be boring!
- Create extremely useful content – Provide fresh and different content that’s useful and is exactly what is resonating with your list. (Be sure you know this!)
- Don’t be afraid to use emotion – Writing with emotion is powerful and is almost certainly going to stir others as well, promoting more engagement.
Don’t settle for simply autoresponder messages! Create a meaningful and useful e-newsletter today!