LinkedIn: The Social Network Businesses (Should) Love
LinkedIn should be ranked among the big three of social media sites, right with Facebook and Twitter. But LinkedIn is in fact more valuable for your business because unlike its rivals, this social-media site focuses particularly on business. This means that, you won’t have people on LinkedIn posting about how good their oatmeal tasted today.
How smart companies are using LinkedIn
There are 1.3 million small-business owners in the network. How are they using it? What kind of benefits do they see? Here are just a few:
- Sharing wins: As a small business owner, you work hard. Why not share your success stories? Displaying your successes is just good marketing. And with 2 million C-level executives making use of the site, you might suddenly find yourself with some deep-pocketed suitors.
- Getting referrals: LinkedIn makes it easy to get peer and client endorsements for the work you do. Best part? When someone endorses you or writes a testimonial, everyone within your network sees it in his or her activity feed. This type of social proof is the BEST way of getting new customers.
- Finding new talent: If your business continues to grow, you’ll undoubtedly need to hire new employees. LinkedIn is a great place—scratch that, it’s the BEST place—to find new players to add to your team.
- Promoting events: LinkedIn’s event feature is a game changer! It has never been easier to spread the news and drum up enthusiasm about upcoming events, sales and gatherings. You can even use their service directory to search for professional event planners to help you.
- Boosting website traffic: Here’s a little-known secret about LinkedIn: it’s very influential with Google, so if you have a presence on LinkedIn, you’re going to notice a bump in search engine visibility, too. More eyeballs, more prospects.
- Getting answers: LinkedIn is a goldmine for information on building a successful business. You can uncover great advice from a number of the savviest business minds in the world in LinkedIn Answers and Groups. You will discover over 2000 groups focused on small-business-related topics.
- Finding investors, vendors and partners: It’s a networker’s paradise. Whether you need some capital, a new accounting firm, or even a business partner, you’re not going to find a better source than LinkedIn.
We’re just scratching the surface here, folks. The benefits don’t end there. Head over to LinkedIn, set up a page for your business and find out for yourself. I realize your time is scarce, but trust me, it’s worth it.